To be considered for a grant you must meet the following criteria, if you cannot tick all boxes your application will not progress to assessment:
- You live in England, Scotland or Wales;
- You have not received a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust within the last 2 years;
- You must be seeking a grant to clear an outstanding debt on a current or open gas, electricity or dual fuel energy account in your name or be a member of that household, the energy account must relate to your main residence;
- You have electric and/or gas debt;
- You do not have savings above £1,000; and
- You have received help from a money advice agency
- You must be in or facing Fuel Poverty
We will need a number of documents to support your application. Please ensure you have these ready to upload when completing your application. These include:
- Proof of money advice received in the last 3 months e.g. letter confirming the advice provided, a Standard Financial Statement and/or Personal Action Plan. If you have not received money advice in the last 3 months, please visit https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk to find your nearest advice agency before applying.
- Proof of all household income.
- British Gas customers – a meter read for your gas and/or electric account.
- Other energy supplier customers – a bill based on actual readings dated within 4 weeks showing your name, account number and supply address or an email from your energy supplier confirming your name, account number, supply address, outstanding balance, that it is based on actual readings and be dated within 4 weeks. Please note: we will not be able to progress with your application without this information.